There are only four weeks left until Halloween! For many of us, Halloween means dressing up. If you’re dressing up, perhaps you’ve already thought about what you want to be. If you have a kid, you’ve almost certainly already been told what they want to be. But have you thought about a costume for your dog? Sure, you could run to the store and buy a costume for your dog. Unfortunately, most of the costumes in stores are just different versions of the same 5 costumes. If you’re looking to be different this year, make this DIY cactus costume for dogs. It’s pretty easy, super cute, and totally unique!
Are you in Tucson? There are only three weeks left until SWEAT for PETS! SWEAT for PETS is the Humane Society of Southern Arizona’s annual non-competitive 3k walk/run. Register to walk and start a team today to start fundraising. Then, on October 22nd, meet us on the U of A mall with your dog to walk or run with us! There will be a costume contest for dogs, so bring your pup dressed up. You can dress up too, of course!
Now, let’s get right into this DIY cactus costume for dogs!
We got everything we needed at Michael’s craft store (except the dog shirt)!
- Green dog shirt (like this cotton pet t-shirt from Amazon)
- White yarn
- Green pipe cleaners
- Pink tissue paper
- Glue gun, possibly extra glue sticks
- Measuring tape
1. Measure out several nine-inch pieces of white yarn.
2. Fold each piece of yarn in half, tie in a knot, and cut the looped end.
3. Lay your shirt out flat and place white yarn pieces on the shirt, resembling a cactus.
4. Put a dab of hot glue under each piece. Place the knot in the glue. Hold to dry. Repeat with all other yarn pieces.
5. Repeat with the other side of the shirt, then set aside to dry.
6. Lay out five pieces of tissue paper. Fold like an accordion.
7. Secure in the middle with a pipe cleaner. Secure two more pipe cleaners on each side.
8. Cut in between the pipe cleaners to make three evenly sized flowers.
9. Center the pipe cleaners in the newly cut, smaller flowers.
10. Separate the tissue paper by pulling each layer up while bottom layer is pulled down. Be careful not to rip it (but don’t worry if you do — it’s not ruined)!
11. Measure your dog’s neck.
12. Remove 1 inch from the measurement and cut elastic to match.
13. Wrap the pipe cleaners around the elastic to secure each flower.
14. Hot glue the ends of the elastic together, overlapping slightly.
15. You’re done!
This craft was totally trial and error for us! We tried several things that didn’t work along the way to making the tutorial just right for you. First, we tried making our own dog shirt out of a t-shirt, but we didn’t think the end result was quite right. We made the flowers twice, first with three pieces of tissue paper and cutting the edges to make them round, but the second time we used five pieces of tissue paper and didn’t cut the edges. We liked the way the flowers looked the second time a lot better. DIY is always interesting because it doesn’t always go exactly as planned, but we had fun making this costume and we hope you do, too!
Did you make this DIY cactus costume for dogs? How did it turn out? Let us know in the comments below.